Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Danger Will Robinson!

So I had to go to the hospital yesterday.
I didn't feel bad. I didn't think that anything was wrong....
And nothing was.
It seems that in order to get a work permit, you have to be certified by a doctor that you are free from syphillis, leprocy, methamphetamines, alcoholism, and an assortment of other issues. I hope that the title and opening sentence were scary enough for you!

That said, a blood test, pee test, chest xray, and general checkup only cost 480 baht. That's $16 for those of you who are currency illiterate. The chest x ray was only $5.

The government must really put a lot of subsidy into the healthcare.

The Golden Medical Center is very nice, with wide atriums and an open floor plan (like most Thai buildings). The halls are huge, and the cafeteria was excellent.

I appreciate Nok, Nut, and Diep (everyone uses nicknames here, btw) for coming with me to translate and get me around.

We also had lunch today. Nut (Diep's wife), went to the Salaya market - which I hope to do soon - to get us all lunch. I had a green curry with fish. It was very good, but a bit spicy (yeah, Thais like it hot). In case you aren't aware - tiny green peppers are a no go for our western palates. They also brought me some boiled chicken (sliced) over white rice. It was very good, and I appreciate their bringing Nok and I lunch.

A quick note about Nut and Diep; they have been extremely helpful in making me feel welcome, as well as taking care of me. Yesterday, they took me home [saving me about an hour of commute and 31 baht - it was not even close to being on the way home] after picking up their two daughters ("Good" 20 months and "Grace" 6 yrs). They are quite the nice family. They also gave me some orange juice for my fridge (it's the good stuff - not the walmart gallon kind; the kind that costs like 8 bucks for a half gallon); delicious.Today everyone wore pink polo shirts (except me); when I came into the office (I share it with them both), Diep had one that he had purchased for me. How thoughtful.

Nok has still been very helpful as well; she is the one that they are yelling at because my paperwork isn't finished. Although I didn't see her today (except at lunch), she has been very helpful. Without her, I couldn't get home!!!

I also taught my first class yesterday. I was very nervous to start, but most of my classes involve the students talking amongst themselves, so it was easy. Taught two more today - still not bad. I may be getting better at this.

Get internet at the condo, and I'll be set (no more getting to school at 6 am - working with only the grounds crew and bugs to keep me company).

Otherwise, I am getting settled, and getting a bit more confident in my Thai - once I learn numbers, I can go and shop in the markets!

That's all for now. Maybe tonight, I will type up some more and present it to you tomorrow morning.

4 comments:

  1. I myself want to hear you speak some Thai sir. So hurry up on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I have learned some, although none of them are names that I want to call you (sadly). Only Spanish will work for that right now.

      I did speak to a lady (pooki) on the bus today. She taught me how to say "last stop," which is where my bus goes.

      Delete
  2. The mother sitting halfway around the world doesn't want to read a post that starts "So I had to go to the hospital yesterday!!" However, happy that alls well. And, now you know where it is just in case... right?

    Send photo of you in pink polo. :-)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I mostly did that to make you angry. That said, I am all registered there. They give you a card with a barcode, so when you go in you just scan and they know everything about you.

      So, if I get sick or injured in Nakhom Pathom, I know where to go.

      Delete