Wednesday, February 8, 2012

My exciting day

Yesterday, I administered my first quiz. I have to work on my methods.

On the way home, I can either stop in Salaya and pick up a van, which will take me directly to the "central" (the giant mall to which I have alluded before), or I can go to Saphan Krungthorn on the 515 bus and pick up the 28.

Yesterday, I was hungry when I got off (I am trying to get my portions away from my usual giant meal to a more Thai-like portion), so I walked around one of the billion street market type areas. I will have to take more pictures of these; it's little cart after little cart of people cooking all manner of things; not just meat on a stick. You can get noodle bowls, fried chicken, fresh bread, ice cream, or anything that can be cooked in a wok.

It was definitely an enjoyable experience walking around; I picked up some Bi Bi Goa (yes, I ruined the word; it sounded like bar b q to me but was pork and some dumplings and veg over noodles with some broth), and was on my way to the van stop when I realized; I had no clue where the stinkin vans were! After walking a bit, I stopped to ask some students (they all wear uniforms, so they are easy to pick out - and speak pretty good english). I think that they told me to take the 542 bus, but i took the 547!

Not long in, I was seeing things that I had not seen before (although I was glad to have seen them), and asked the bus attendant. She promptly shooed me off the bus.

I have to say that I do love Thailand for this reason if for no other one.
When I asked one person how on earth to get to pin klao, the, y called someone for help. Then someone else came over. Pretty soon, there were 5 people debating how to get back. They even wrote (in thai and english) the name of the van.

By this time it was dark, which doesn't bother me (I am just usually pooped when I get home - I will be staying up later now that I am more settled), and I was out by the central mall.

I am very thankful to have been provided a job in a place where everyone is so helpful and friendly. I would not have gotten home on my own. The Thai people are wonderful.

Now let me say that during the day the place is full of food carts and street vendors and people eating everywhere.

At night, it's incredible how many people and how much food and how much stuff is happening there. It was awesome.

I had, however, resolved to wait on Waymon for that stuff, so I moved on (plus, I had some lukewarm dinner to nuke).

I do not have a camera that does good night pictures; maybe that will be something I procure soon. This place is completely different at night!

Anyway, allow me to post the pictures of dinner

If you buy stuff at the market, they will either put it into a bowl or plate (not disposeable; it's assumed that they wash them; very environmentally friendly) or into plastic bags. When they put it into plastic bags, it's like our sandwich bags at home, but they just rubber band the top and somehow leave a bunch of air in the bag. It looks like when you buy goldfish at the store! I think it's a good system. Those plastic bags will take much less space than styrofoam in the landfill.

it's more attractive when you unpack it.





Also, I will provide some bonus pictures from my bus stop yesterday. I will definitely get some more artistic ones sometime, but these give you an idea.


Front gate.


my bus stop. It looks far more "country" than it actually is.



This is the end of the line. It is easy for me to keep track. BTW the last stop is called Sood Sai. I tell them that, and then it costs 21 baht!

3 comments:

  1. I am thoroughly enjoying the great posts! You relate the most interesting details!

    I think you can click on a photo after you upload it and choose "Med" or "Large" size. You can also add a caption. It took me a while to figure that out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice it is fun getting lost on purpose but even better getting lost and learning how to get home. Now when you go again you can go and not be lost! Hope your having a blast. How long are you there for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving reading the details of your adventure! (and I DO love an adventure.) I am keeping up with every detail and am enjoying your posts. You are more "bold" with your food adventures than I would be. Are you ready to receive real mail yet? Thinking of you. Have a fabulous day! Praying, Mary Anne

    ReplyDelete